Skip to main content

ESTA Visa Waiver Program Countries

The current ESTA UK Visa Waiver Program allow citizens of Visa Waiver Countries to obtain an ESTA before visiting the US. For a country to be included in the VWP, it has to meet many requirements related to passport issuance, security and previous visa application denials. Travellers with a passport from any other country must obtain a B-1 or B-2 Visitor Visa. An application must be made through the ESTA in advance. In contrast, Customs Form 6059B is usually completed while flying to the US or at the border before entering the immigration area.

ESTA Visa Waiver for UK

ESTA Visa Waiver for UK

What is the ESTA Visa Waiver Program (VWP)?

The VWP consists of countries that issue their citizens a machine-readable or electronic passport to visit the US for up to 90 days without applying for a tourist or business visa in advance. Before January 2009, Visa Waiver travellers presented their machine-readable passports to the border agents for admission to the US. The ESTA, however, requires all Visa Waiver travellers to pre-register for and be approved to travel to the US. An ESTA Visa authorisation is valid for two years.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals from certain countries, such as the United Kingdom, to travel to the United States to visit relatives or for business purposes for no more than 90 days. This is provided that certain conditions are met. The VWP allows for a maximum 90-day stay, regardless of whether the time is spent in Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands.

International visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries must have valid ESTA authorisation to enter the United States. All visitors must apply online for travel authorisation (ESTA).

Who needs ESTA Visa Waiver?

For all airline crew members, as well as crew members of private, commercial or maritime vessels, students and interns, temporary workers and intracompany transferees, treaty traders, religious workers, performers, artists, and representatives of foreign countries travelling for official business purposes, visas are required.

If a Visa Waiver Program Partner has notified you that you are not eligible to travel to the United States, you must apply for a nonimmigrant Visa at least three months before you plan to travel.

If you do not have imminent travel plans, you should pay the nonimmigrant visa application fee, fill out the DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application form and schedule a visa appointment. You may request an expedited appointment if your travel plans are imminent.

Include in your request the date and the purpose of your trip, along with a copy of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection notification regarding your ESTA status. You can find more information on scheduling an emergency appointment on the nonimmigrant visa page.

ESTA Visa Waiver for UK

  • Visa waiver country flagAndora
  • Visa waiver country flagAustralia
  • Visa waiver country flagAustria
  • Visa waiver country flagBelgium
  • Visa waiver country flagBrunei
  • Visa waiver country flagChile
  • Visa waiver country flagCroatia
  • Visa waiver country flagCzech Republic
  • Visa waiver country flagDenmark
  • Visa waiver country flagEstonia
  • Visa waiver country flagFinland
  • Visa waiver country flagFrance
  • Visa waiver country flagGermany
  • Visa waiver country flagGreece
  • Visa waiver country flagHungary
  • Visa waiver country flagIceland
  • Visa waiver country flagIreland
  • Visa waiver country flagIsrael
  • Visa waiver country flagItaly
  • Visa waiver country flagJapan
  • Visa waiver country flagSouth Korea
  • Visa waiver country flagLatvia
  • Visa waiver country flagLiechtenstein
  • Visa waiver country flagLithuania
  • Visa waiver country flagLuxembourg
  • Visa waiver country flagMalta
  • Visa waiver country flagMonaco
  • Visa waiver country flagNetherlands
  • Visa waiver country flagNew Zealand
  • Visa waiver country flagNorway
  • Visa waiver country flagPoland
  • Visa waiver country flagPortugal
  • Visa waiver country flagSan Marino
  • Visa waiver country flagSingapore
  • Visa waiver country flagSlovakia
  • Visa waiver country flagSlovenia
  • Visa waiver country flagSpain
  • Visa waiver country flagSweden
  • Visa waiver country flagSwitzerland
  • Visa waiver country flagTaiwan
  • Visa waiver country flagUnited Kingdom

**Regarding all references to “country” and “countries” within this document, it is essential to note that the Taiwan Relations Act of 1978, wherever the laws of the United States relate or refer to foreign countries or nations, states or governments, such terms shall include Taiwan. All references to “country” and “countries” within the Visa Waiver Program authorising legislation include Taiwan. This is consistent with the United States one-China policy under which the United States has maintained unofficial relations with Taiwan since 1979.

*British citizens have the unrestricted right to permanent residence in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands.

Facts About the ESTA Visa Waiver Program

In any of these situations, a new travel authorisation might be required:

  • Travellers entering the US under the VWP are authorised to remain in the country for up to 90 days. Extensions are not allowed.
  • A machine-readable passport is required for all Visa Waiver travellers.
  • An approved ESTA authorisation has been required for all Visa Waiver travellers entering the US by air or sea since January 12, 2009.
  • The VWP was established in 1986 to stimulate the tourism industry in the United States and has proved very successful.
  • You can verify or even update information on your ESTA application after submitting it to us.

Are there any Passport requirements for ESTA Visa Waiver Program?

The VWP only allows travel passports with certain security features to travel. Visa Waiver Program requirements:

  • A machine-readable area must be included on the biographic page of your passport.
  • The passport must contain a digital chip that contains biometric information about the owner.

All travellers must have an electronic passport (e-Passport) to access the VWP as of April 1, 2016. An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport that has an embedded electronic chip. The appropriate passport issuing authority must issue e-Passports. They must also meet international standards for storing and securing information corresponding to the passport bearer and passport.

Is ESTA and a Visa different from each other?

Yes. ESTA is not a visa, and they are different from each other. A visa is not required for an approved ESTA. When a visa is required by U.S. law, it does not fulfil the legal or regulatory requirements. A valid visa holder can still travel to the United States with the visa issued for that purpose. Individuals who have valid visas may not apply for ESTA.

How does ESTA help reduce VWP Security risks?

DHS can use ESTA to determine whether an individual is eligible to travel to the United States as a VWP passenger before they board a U.S.-bound airline. It also helps assess whether such travel presents security or law enforcement risks. ESTA helps to counter the vulnerabilities inherent in visa-free travel. It adds a layer of advanced scrutiny that allows DHS frontline personnel more focus on potentially dangerous travellers.

Is my data, documents and information safe with ESTA Visa Waiver Program?

The ESTA website allows applicants to submit information. These data are subject to the same privacy controls and restrictions for similar traveller screening programs. Only those with professional need access to information are allowed to see it. The U.S. government runs the website and uses technology to prevent unauthorised access. The Federal Information Security Management Act is the U.S. law that protects and governs information.

Official disclaimer: This information website is privately owned and operated. It is not affiliated with the US government. Outgoing links are provided to a privately owned third-party website that offer ESTA processing for an additional fee. All visitors have the option of utilizing the official US government website directly without any third-party assistance and pay USD $ 21.00.